Friday, July 4, 2014

My First Fish

So I had been fishing several times since I got married, and had no luck. I had tried using live bait, and bass lures. I don't know if it was a lack of knowledge, or a lack of patience, but I never caught anything. I mentioned to my bishop that I had been trying to fish with absolutely no luck; he then invited me to go fishing with him on the lake he lives on and guaranteed me a fish. We decided to meet early one morning to head out in his canoe. I was super excited. The prospect of having somebody give me some tips and pointers was super exciting, and the thought of maybe actually catching a fish had me pretty excited though by this point I was skeptical and felt that all fish had some sort of secret combination against me. I had spoken with many children who had caught more fish than I could ever dream of. I always told them they needed to teach me how to do it.

The long awaited day came, and I showed up at bishops house somewhere around six in the morning. We quietly went into his back yard, loaded the canoe, and pushed off. It was gorgeous. The lake was so quiet - there wasn't even a breeze. There was a mist hanging over the water. It was awesome to glide along the water to the sound of the paddles and the plop of lures hitting the water. We fished for about two hours and had only seen one maybe two fish. I think I almost caught one, but I didn't set the hook quick enough. We were on our way back in, floating to the end of the cove where bishop lives, and I felt another hit. This time I set it, and bishop had to coach me through reeling it in (you would think that would be ridiculously easy and obvious, but apparently I wasn't doing it at the right speed to keep it hooked). When I finally got it out of the water the little beast showed itself. It was probably a whole five inches long, and was a beautiful specimen of what we think was a baby small mouth bass. Bishop showed me how to pull the hook out of its mouth and release it back into the water. I felt quite accomplished: I had FINALLY caught a fish, and bishop delivered on his guarantee. We were no more than 50 feet from where we were going to pull out.


No comments:

Post a Comment